Applying for a driving licence or learner permit.
Apply online for a full Irish driving licence. Buy Irish driving licence: Applying online is a simple, straightforward process, no need to book an appointment or attend an NDLS centre. Save time and do it the smart way Apply Online today.
Our new online service caters for all application types, you can apply online for
- first-time learner permit or full licence
- renewing your driving licence or learner permit
- updating personal details
- replacement of a lost/stolen or damaged licence or permit
- exchanging your foreign licence for an Irish licence
Applying for a driving licence
- A Public Services Card
- Proof of your current address
- Proof that you are normally resident in Ireland if your place of birth and nationality are outside the EU/EEA
- medical report form dated within the last three months, if required in your case.
- To have successfully completed IBT training, if required
- Application fee of €650. You can pay by credit or debit card, Bank transfer.
Letter of Entitlement/Driver Statement
A letter of entitlement or driver statement is a copy of your driver record with details of name, address, date of birth, driver number, date of expiry of licence and class of licence including details of what that class refers to;
A letter of entitlement is required by NDLS when you wish to exchange your foreign licence and:
- the foreign licence presented in NDLS is expired
- the foreign licence is lost, stolen or damaged.
- one or more categories on the foreign licence does not have a start date.
A letter of entitlement must be an original. A faxed, scanned or email copy is acceptable. It can take a customer some time to receive original documents which can delay applications. Apply online for a full Irish driving licence. Buy Irish driving licence
Irish driving licence categories
- A – motorcycles, Mopeds and Light quadricycles, Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres, Motorcycles with a power rating not exceeding 35 kW, and Motor tricycles (Driving licence categories AM, A1, A2, A),
- B – cars, tractors and work vehicles. Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a MAM1 not exceeding 3,500 kg. having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the MAM1 of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg. or where the combined MAM1 of the towing vehicle and the trailer does not exceed 3,500 kg. Combination of drawing vehicles in category B and trailer where the MAM¹ of the trailer is not greater than 3,500 kg (Driving licence categories B, BE, W)
- C – vans and trucks over 3,500kg (Driving licence categories C, C1, CE, C1E)
- D – buses (Driving licence categories D, D1, DE, D1E)
- CD – trucks and buses (Driving licence categories C, C1, CE, C1E, D, D1, DE, D1E)
- TMT – truck module (must have passed D test)
- BMT – bus module (must have passed C test)
- W – Work vehicles and land tractor with or without a trailer.
How to Exchange Your Foreign Driving Licence for an Irish Driving Licence
To be eligible to exchange your driver’s licence for an Irish one you must: Apply online for a full Irish driving licence. Buy Irish driving licence.
- Permanently reside in Ireland for at least 185 days per year.
- Lived in Ireland for the 12 months prior to applying for the exchange.
- Have a driver’s licence from one of the following countries; Australia, British Columbia Province of Canada, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, Manitoba Province of Canada, New Zealand, Ontario Province of Canada, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan.
If you do not have a driver’s licence from one of these listed countries, you will need to apply for an Irish drivers licence by completing the. Apply online for a full Irish driving licence. Buy Irish driving licence full Irish driver licensing procedure.
To exchange your driving licence for an Irish one, you need to make an appointment at the NDLS, which you can do online. If you go into the NDLS centre without an appointment, then expect to wait a while. National Driver Licence Service website