exchange your foreign licence for a UK driving licence

Your ability to drive in the UK on your foreign driving licence depends on two main factors: the length of your stay, and the country where your licence was issued. Good news is: tourists can drive around Great Britain (i.e. England, Wales and Scotland) on their valid foreign driving licence for up to 12 months from the day they last entered the country.  Here is a quick guide on how to use your foreign driving licence in the UK or exchange your foreign licence for a UK driving licence

  • If your licence was issued in Northern Ireland, you can use it as long as it remains valid
  • If your licence is from the European Economic Area, you can use it until you turn 70 years old. (If you were 67 or older when you became a resident, you can drive on your EU licence for 3 years after that point.) After that, you will need to exchange your licence for a British one.
  • If your licence is from a ‘designated country’, it can be used for up to 12 months from the time you became a UK resident. After that, you have a choice to exchange it for a British licence.
  • If you hold other kinds of international licence, you can drive for up to 12 months with it. And then you will need to take a driving test in the UK.

Driving in UK with an international licence

For those with driving licence from countries other than the ones from above list can drive with their foreign licence for up to 12 months from the day they became UK residents. After this period, they will need to pass a British driving test. To do so, the first step is to apply for a provisional British licence on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

applying for a provisional UK licence, having limited driving experience and then taking the UK driving test. This is a problem as with limited experience on negotiating busy junctions, hazards and dealing with adverse weather conditions, the risk of causing an accident is considerably higher than someone who has done things the right way.

Driving licences from countries which are exchangeable with UK driving licence without taking a new test.

Northern Ireland will exchange community driving licences issued by the following European Economic Area (EEA) member states on a like for like basis: Exchange your foreign licence for a UK driving licence

‘Designated countries’ have agreements with the United Kingdom for their citizens to drive in the UK without taking a new test. Licence holders from those countries have 5 years from when they became residents to exchange their foreign licence for a British one. The foreign licence will only be valid for the first 12 months. exchange your foreign licence for a UK driving licence

Designated countries are: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe,Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Italy, Latvia, United, Kingdom (including Jersey, Guernsey and Isle Of Man), Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech, Republic, and Denmark Estonia.

Get Car insurance with your international licence

When it comes to getting a car insurance with an international licence, things can get a little bit complicated. Invalid car insurance is the main offence being committed by international driver licence holders driving with a provisional licence. Many internationals will insure themselves on a car with an international licence and then apply for a provisional licence, making the insurance void. exchange your foreign licence for a UK driving licence

You’re thinking about exchanging your foreign licence for a UK drivers licence? … Disclaimer: Hi! this post may contain affiliate links which will take you to online … To exchange your licence your home country must be a ‘designated country. Though part of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland has a different system for obtaining a driving licence. Instead of the DVSA, which operates in

Leave a Comment