Apply online for a full Irish driving licence. Buy Irish driving licence

Apply for AM-A1-A2-A UK Motorcycle License. Motorcycle licenses and the laws around riding on roads can be confusing. Knowing which motorcycle license you need for different bikes largely depends on your age, but knowing what you need to apply for and how is a test in itself before you even get on those two wheels.

In the UK, you can ride a moped (up to 4kW) motorbike when you’re 16 with a provisional license and a completed Compulsory Basic Training (CBT motorcycle and moped training). You won’t be able to ride on motorways or carry a pillion passenger and your 50cc bike isn’t allowed to travel faster than 28mph.

At aged 17 and over with completed CBT you Can ride with L plates – light motorcycle up to 125 cc ( A1, motorcycle 11kW max).

Motorcycle and tricycle riders

Anyone who passed a practical category A motorcycle test before 19 January 2013 will still be restricted to a motorcycle of 25kW for two years from the date of test pass. However, if you want to ride a larger motorcycle you will need to follow the rules for motorcycle riders outlined below. Apply AM-A1-A2-A UK Motorcycle License

Category B1 (quads and tricycles) is no longer a sub-category of category B, and tricycle entitlements are displayed differently on the licence.

Tricycle riders retain their full category B1 (trikes and quads) entitlement but it is displayed differently on driving licences. It will be shown as category B1 and category A (restricted to tricycles), unless the rider already holds full A entitlement.

The following rules apply for motorcycle and tricycle riders: Apply AM-A1-A2-A UK Motorcycle License

Category A1 (small motorcycles up to 11kw – 125cc)

In reality most bikers don’t bother with the A1 licence and wait until they are 19 when they can can do the A2 licence for the same cost

When you have held an A2 full bike licence for a minimum of two years you may upgrade to an A unrestricted licence

It should be noted that, Full car licence automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement.

You must obtain a UK provisional motorcycle licence before you can start your riding lessons, sit the Theory Test or take your Practical Test. Get AM-A1-A2-A UK Motorcycle License

You can apply for a provisional motorcycle licence when you reach 17 years of age which will expire on your 70th birthday!

On your apply for a provisional licence., you can ride a light motorcycle which is sometimes called a training motorcycle. This is any bike with:

  • An engine capacity of no more than 125cc
  • A maximum power output of 11kW or 14.6 bhp

While you are riding on a provisional motorcycle licence you must obey the following restrictions:

  • You must display L plates at all times (D plates in Wales)
  • You can not carry a pillion passenger
  • You can not ride on motorways

If you are aged 21 years of age you can ride a larger bike if you are being supervised by a Direct Access Instructor.

If you want to ride a moped, you can apply for your Driving licences when you are 16 years of age.

Applying for a provisional motorcycle licence is easiest done via the DVLA’s (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) secure online service. Learn what you can and …A provisional driving licence with motorcycle entitlement; Full car licence. … driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle from the DVLA – apply online. Or you … Get AM-A1-A2-A UK Motorcycle License